MARK A. CORBO, P.E.
President & Chief Engineer
Mark Corbo offers more than 25 years of experience in the design and analysis of rotating equipment and hydraulic and pneumatic valves, pumps, and actuators. His qualifications include extensive experience in engineering consulting, engineering analysis, troubleshooting, and mechanical design.
As a professional engineering consultant, Mr. Corbo’s areas of specialization include:
- Lateral Rotordynamics (Critical Speeds, Unbalance Response, Stability, Multi-Level Modeling)
- Torsional Vibration (Undamped, Damped Steady-State, Transient Response)
- Fluid Flow Analysis (Hydraulics, Compressible Flow, Computational Fluid Dynamics)
- Fluid-Film Bearing & Squeeze-Film Damper Design and Analysis
- Valve Design and Analysis (Poppets, Spools, Flappers, Plates)
- Pump Design and Analysis (Centrifugal Pumps, Axial Inducers, Vane Pumps, Gear Pumps)
- Structural Analysis (Stress Analysis, Vibration, Finite Element Analysis)
- Control Systems Analysis (Dynamic Simulations, Accuracy Studies)
MAJOR PROJECTS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
No Bull Engineering - President & Chief Engineer
Mechanical Technology Incorporated - Senior Analytical Engineer
- Performed torsional vibration analysis on motor-driven compressor employing Voith Vorecon hydraulic gearbox.
- Performed torsional vibration analysis on Littoral Combat Ship propulsion system in both diesel engine and gas turbine modes.
- Performed two coupled lateral/torsional analyses on motor-driven compressors for GE.
- Performed torsional vibration analysis on three marine propulsion systems for Detroit Diesel.
- Performed lateral rotordynamics/stability analyses on Elliott, Nuovo Pignone, and Allis-Chalmers high pressure compressors undergoing retrofits to add dry gas seals.
- Performed time-transient startup torsional vibration/fatigue analyses for many synchronous motor-driven compressor trains.
- Designed squeeze-film damper (and performed rotordynamics analysis) for 56,000 rpm ammonia/steam turbogenerator.
- Performed rotordynamic/stability design audit on Elliott high pressure compressor for Tesoro.
- Performed lateral and torsional analyses per API 673 on numerous motor and turbine-driven fans.
- Performed multi-level lateral rotordynamics and torsional vibration analysis for numerous vertical turbine wastewater pumping units.
- Investigated and evaluated methods for determining labyrinth seal destabilizing forces for high pressure steam turbines.
- Performed simulations of magnetic bearing rotor dropdowns onto catcher bearings.
- Performed lateral and torsional analyses on several turbogenerators incorporating Rolls-Royce Trent gas turbine engines.
- Performed rotordynamics analysis on GE locomotive turbocharger employing floating-ring bearings.
- Performed torsional vibration analysis for VFD-driven mining truck propulsion unit containing planetary gear.
- Designed water-lubricated tilting-pad bearings (and performed rotordynamics analyses) for several vertical long-shaft nuclear waste pumps to eliminate long-term whirl problems.
- Performed torsional analysis on reciprocating engine to explain crankshaft failures.
- Performed bearing/system design and rotordynamics analysis to convert two large fans from oil-ring to pressure-fed lubrication.
- Performed third-party lateral/torsional audit on critical drive train (steam turbine driving integrally-geared compressor) for Praxair-China.
- Performed torsional analysis on motor-driven reciprocating pump.
- Performed tapered-land thrust bearing design audit and optimization for locomotive turbocharger manufacturer.
- Performed rotordynamics analysis on twin screw pump.
- Designed rolling-element bearings and performed rotordynamics analysis for aircraft turbofan engine for Teledyne.
- Designed multi-lobed bearing (and performed API 610 rotordynamics analysis) for Exxon vertical hydrocarbon pump to eliminate instability problem.
- Participated on troubleshooting task force to solve radial vibration and thrust bearing problems in nuclear canned motor pump.
- Utilized rotordynamics and FEA to eliminate vertical turbine pump field vibration problem.
- Performed expert review/critique on fluid-film bearing design standard being written by subsea vertical pump manufacturer.
- Performed lateral and torsional analyses on vertical turbogenerator for Carrier World Trade Center project.
- Performed torsional analyses on two VFD-driven compressor trains for Solar Turbines.
- Trouble-shot fractional frequency whirl problem in vertical long-shaft pump for Weir Pumps.
- Performed failure analysis on fluid-film thrust bearing in Sundyne compressor.
- Trouble-shot motor 2X vibration problem for Reliance Electric.
- Designed rolling-element bearings for progressing cavity pump.
- Trouble-shot and modeled tilting-pad thrust bearing flutter problem.
- Designed squeeze-film damper (and performed rotordynamics analysis) for 3600 rpm fan.
- Generated Simulink models and ran dynamic simulations for Joint Strike Fighter fuel control.
- Performed rolling-element bearing design audit for laser scanner to correct field problems.
- Performed torsional analysis on truck drivetrain, including differential, for Dana Corp.
- Used rotordynamics analysis to trouble-shoot two long-term blower problems at Dow.
- Performed lateral rotordynamics and earthquake analysis on vertical flywheel.
- Designed TEFP backup valve (hydraulic spool/poppet valve) for Hamilton Standard.
- Performed time-transient startup torsional vibration analyses for synchronous motor-driven cement mill containing planetary gearbox.
- Performed containment analysis for hydraulic dynamometer and flywheel.
- Performed design audit on gas-lubricated thrust bearing for major APU manufacturer.
- Performed steam turbine rotordynamic and torsional analyses and helped determine cause of blade failures at a fertilizer plant.
- Designed two liquid-sodium lubricated bearing systems for pumps for nuclear facilities.
- Designed pneumatic anti-ice valve for Honeywell.
Coltec Industries, Chandler Evans Division - Senior Analytical Engineer
- Generated six-level rotordynamic model and performed critical speed, unbalance response, and stability analyses for Siemens gas turbine-generator. Developed algorithm for calculating equivalent dynamic coefficients for blade rubs and incorporated them in non-linear rotordynamic analysis for predicting consequences of turbine stage blade loss.
- Performed lateral rotordynamic analyses per API 617 for two turbocompressors for Cooper.
- Performed undamped and/or damped torsional vibration analyses for multiple clients.
- Performed multi-level rotordynamic analysis of vertical motor for Reliance Electric Co.
- Redesigned fluid-film journal bearings to rectify compressor instability problem for Carrier.
- Performed torsional vibration analysis on Cooper turbocompressor employing Voith hydraulic coupling.
- Performed network flow analysis to select optimum arrangement for Wankel engine bearing lube system.
United Technologies Corp., Hamilton Standard Division - Senior Design Engineer
- Variable Displacement Vane Pump - Designed pressure regulating valve, relief valve, and servo pistons.
- Allison 250 Fuel Control - Designed altitude compensation valve, auto/manual transfer solenoid valve and overspeed solenoid valve. Developed computer programs for solenoid design and prediction of stepper motor torque-speed curves. Ran dynamic simulations for overspeed solenoid energization response, valve response to G-loads, and control and engine performance.
- Hamilton Standard 367F Overspeed Governor - Designed governor pilot valve and lockout and reset solenoid valves.
- LHTEC T800 Fuel Control - Designed liquid-ring boost pump using CFD.
- Lycoming ALF-502 Fuel Control - Utilized CFD model to solve ball valve instability problem.
- Williams FJ44 Fuel Control - Analyzed T2 aspirator performance using one-dimensional compressible flow theory.
- Chandler Evans Centrifugal Pumping Systems - Generated generic design and analysis procedure for centrifugal pumping systems.
- LHX Blower - Designed main rotor hardware, fiberglass diffuser housing, and Barske-type scavenge pumps. Performed lateral rotordynamic analysis and ball bearing life analysis.
- PW4000 Compressor Bleed Actuator - Designed hydraulic flapper system, pilot valve, and actuator piston. Performed steady-state accuracy study for entire control loop.
- PW5000 Fuel Control - Designed hydraulic actuator and performed all housing structural analysis (using FEA). Performed accuracy studies for both gas generator and augmentor controls.
- GTA-26 Pressure Regulating Valve - Designed hydraulic flapper system and performed accuracy study.
CREDENTIALS & AFFILIATIONS
- B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Registered Professional Engineer in New York State
- Member - American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member - Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- Member - The Vibration Institute
- Member - API 684 Task Force (Editor of Torsional Vibration Section)
- Member - Hydraulic Institute Vibrations (Dynamics) Committee
- Corbo, M. A. and Malanoski, S. B., "Practical Design Against Torsional Vibration," Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Turbomachinery Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, pp. 189-222 (1996).
- Corbo, M. A. and Malanoski, S. B., "Tuning Out Torsional Vibration," Machine Design, pp. 53-58 (February 6, 1997)
- Vitiello, S. A., Corbo, M. A., and Hall, M. N., "Design of Long Shaft Slurry Pump to Increase MTBF in Hazardous Waste Retrieval Operations," Proceedings of the Third ASME Pumping Machinery Symposium, ASME, Vancouver, B. C. (June 1997).
- Corbo, M. A. and Malanoski, S. B., "A Comprehensive Torsional Vibration Analysis Procedure, Parts I & II," Proceedings of the Sixteenth ASME Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, ASME, Sacramento, CA (September 1997).
- Corbo, M. A. and Malanoski, S. B., "Pump Rotordynamics Made Simple," Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Pump Users Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, pp. 167-204 (1998).
- Corbo, M. A. and Malanoski, S. B., "Smoothing the Stresses of Torsional Vibration," Machine Design, pp. 88-96 (Dec. 10, 1998).
- Corbo, M. A. and Cook, C. P., "Torsional Vibration Analysis of Synchronous Motor-Driven Turbomachinery," Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth Turbomachinery Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, pp. 161-176 (2000).
- Gutzwiller, H. L. and Corbo, M. A., “Vibration and Stability of 3000 HP Titanium Construction Chemical Process Blower,” Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Stability Control of Rotating Machinery, Bently Nevada Corp., South Lake Tahoe, CA (August 2001)
- Corbo, M.A., Stefanko, D.B. and Leishear, R.A., “Practical Use of Rotordynamic Analysis to Correct a Vertical Long Shaft Pump’s Whirl Problem,” Proceedings of the 19th International Pump Users Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, pp. 107-120 (2002).
- Corbo, M. A., Kuli, T. J. and Gutzwiller, H. L., “Practical Use of Rotordynamic Analysis and Troubleshooting Skills to Correct a Long-Term Synchronous Vibration Problem in an Overhung Turboblower,” Proceedings of the Thirty-First Turbomachinery Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, pp. 17-27 (September 2002).
- Corbo, M. A., Cook, C. P., Yeiser, C. W. and Costello, M. J., “Torsional Vibration Analysis and Testing of Synchronous Motor-Driven Turbomachinery,” Proceedings of the Thirty-First Turbomachinery Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, pp. 153-175 (September 2002).
- Corbo, M. A. and Stearns, C. F., “Practical Design Against Pump Pulsations,” Proceedings of the 22nd International Pump Users Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory, Texas A&M University, pp. 137-177 (March 2005).
- Corbo, M. A., “Preventing Pulsation Problems in Piping Systems,” Chemical Engineering Progress, Volume 102, Number 3, pp. 22-31 (March 2006).
- Corbo, M. A. and Malanoski, S. B., “Torsional and Pulsation Design Audits,” Proceedings of the Gas Machinery Conference, GMRC, Dallas, TX (October 2007).
| Home | Why Hire Us? | Services | Principals & Staff | Clients |
| Technical Papers | Short Courses | News Items | Contact Us |